Avatar Explorations

Avatars . . . to be or not on my blog?  Edublog’s Teacher Blogging Challenge was all about avatars in Challenge #4.  My avatar has always been a photograph of myself. As part of the challenge I explored a variety of free web-based tools to create a virtual version of myself.  See my creations below:

Avatars are perfect for MBS students to use because they help protect their identity.  Children should not be sharing personally identifiable information on the internet. Avatars make it possible for students to create a virtual self that represents their real self.  Students can be creative and express their interests and personality through their avatar.

After creating several different avatars for myself, I decided to add the one I created with Voki to the left sidebar.  Press the play button and hear my message.  I liked being able to welcome parents to my blog and suggest ways to use it to spark a discussion with their child.

What do you think of my new avatar?  Leave a comment and tell me what you think.

4 thoughts on “Avatar Explorations

1. Pingback: Posts of the Week – Visit these blogs- Weeks 3/4 | Teacher Challenge

2. I love your Voki — I hope you don’t mind if I use your speech ideas. Great way to invite families. I noticed your shelfari and neoplanet widgets too. Your avatars show energy; your classes must be lively. Thanks for writing on avatars and how they show personality! Yours certainly do…

3. G’day Ms Boucher and students,
    Thanks for joining the March 2011 student blogging challenge.

So you can contact other students and look at their blogs, make sure you keep referring to this page on the challenge blog.

If you want to connect with other classes, then check out this link.

Also each week starting in March, check out the student challenge blog for the different activities to do – look at ‘Latest challenge posts’ under the map on the right sidebar.