Do Polar Bears Live with Penguins?

This has been the focus of our work this week in social studies!  We are learning about the arctic. Student began the week drawing a picture of the arctic. Our drawings were filled with falling snow, penguins and polar bears, beautiful mountains, and of course, igloos! I used the Prezi below to help them clear up their misconceptions.

Generally kids had the following misconceptions:

• Penguins and polar bears both live in the arctic . . . Penguins live in Antarctica and polar bears live in the arctic.
  • It snows a lot in the arctic . . . Actually both poles are deserts!  They receive less than 10 inches of precipitation each year.
  • The arctic is on land . . . Most of the arctic is ice covering an ocean and Antarctica is on land.

We will continue learning about these regions comparing the climate, land, animals and plants of these regions to other regions around the world (rain forest, Vermont and England).  Have your child share the presentation below with you . . . you will be amazed at how much they have learned already!  Ask them to point out the misconceptions they had prior to watching the presentation.

3 thoughts on “Do Polar Bears Live with Penguins?

1. Wow! This prezi just taught me so much! I realize that I had many misconceptions too. I wonder what else you will learn in class.