About Me

Welcome to the Looking Glass: Get a Glimpse into Your Child’s World.

The purpose of this blog is to help you feel more connected to your child’s fourth grade classroom.  Most of us work full-time and can’t volunteer in our child’s classroom.  I know I would have loved to see pictures, video clips, writing and reflections, and important information on a regular basis from my children’s classrooms!  That is exactly what I try to provide for you and your family . . . a regular connection to our learning.

Teaching Philosophy and Experience:

My name is Aimee Boucher and I teach 4th grade.  I have taught at MBS for 13 years.  Prior to that I taught special education at Johnson Elementary.  Due to my special education background, I strive as a classroom teacher to meet the needs of ALL students.  How do I do this?  Differentiation.  Differentiation is an approach to teaching that relies on a teacher’s in-depth assessment of each student and establishment of classroom rules, roles, routines.  Teachers differentiate the content, process or product according to a students learning style, interest or readiness.  I use technology to help me differentiate more effectively and efficiently.

Technology is also a passion of mine!  Students in my class use technology on a regular basis.  We collaborate with each other and the world, individualize our learning, pursue interests and much, much more through a variety of web 2.0 tools.  We use technology to learn new things and to demonstrate our new learning.  I regularly use email to communicate with both students and parents.  My major mode of communication, however, is this blog.

I spend most of my summer training teachers in how to differentiate with technology.  Last summer (and this coming summer), I presented a workshop at the International Society of Technology in Education’s National Conference.  I also teach a graduate course at the University of Vermont and present a 2-day workshop at Vermont Read’s Summer Institute.  You might see my name in the Colchester Parks and Recreation Summer Brochure teaching an art or technology camp, too!

Who Am I?

I live in Colchester, Vermont with my two children, Tim and Meghan, and my husband, Mike.  We have 2 dogs . . . Moe and Bella.  Family is very important to us!  We spend lots of time together.  Each Sunday we have a family dinner . . . each week someone get’s to choose their favorite meal!  In my family we like to cook together.  Tim likes to make dinners and Meghan likes to bake.  She makes great concoctions for friends and family.  As a family we like to spend time on Lake Champlain boating or fishing.  We also like to spend time at our camp in Calais, Vermont . . . and use our 4-wheeler.  Meghan and I enjoy shopping!!!!

Summer Fun:

In my free time I like to garden and hang out with my pooches.  I love to read on my swing and watch the dogs play or bark at people walking by.  My dogs are noisy 🙂  If you look closely, though, you’ll see they are wagging their tails while they bark!  I think they just want to play . . .

18 thoughts on “About Me

1. Hi Aimee!
    It was a pleasure meeting you last night at the Open House! Thanks for all you do each day with our children while we have to be away from them! It does not go unnoticed! Thanks again, and here’s to a fabulous 4th grade year!! Tawnya

2. Hi Aimee,

Ty is home sick today and we read “About Me”… it’s great! We especially like the family cooking as we do the same at our house. Tyler is an expert at making tacos.

Phoebe & Tyler

3. Hi Aimee! Love this blog! I have yet to figure out many of the features on your page, so I can add them to my own. 🙂 Tags, and Blogs We Follow are 2 that I’m trying to add to my page, but can’t quite seem to figure out how? I’ll keeping trying… Thanks for providing an awesome example to follow! 🙂

4. G’day Ms Boucher and students,
    Thanks for joining the March 2011 student blogging challenge.

So you can contact other students and look at their blogs, make sure you keep referring to this page on the challenge blog.

If you want to connect with other classes, then check out this link.

Also each week starting in March, check out the student challenge blog for the different activities to do – look at ‘Latest challenge posts’ under the map on the right sidebar.

5. Dear Looking Glass,
    What we like about your blog is that your videos are so cool. We like the pictures your class has. Your class blog is so cool because you have many things like poetry, online reading resources, meta and so on. And Ms. Boucher is so neat. This is all Taylor and I have to say. Thanks for being nice.
    From,
    Kaely and Taylor

6. Mrs. Boucher, I stumbled on to your blog while doing a search about Readers Theater. I’ve stopped in a few times to see what you and your students are up to. I am a library media specialist in Edmond, OK. My kids and I are creating a book blog at http://www.antlerlibrarian.wordpress.com. It’s not as fancy as yours, but you guys have inspired me; I think my students would love the opportunity to blog more in a format like edublog. Thanks to your class for sharing your ideas! Keep up the good work on the challenges!

• Ms. Franklin,

We love blogging about our reading!!! I am glad we have inspired you. Our edublogs are new and we love them. The kids like how they can customize their theme and sidebars. Thank you for visiting and commenting.

7. G’day Aimee,

Betty appears to be having trouble uploading her user avatar on her blog. I have been in contact with Sue Waters at Edublogs and below is her answer to Betty.

Can you ask Betty to email us with her login in details and to send us the image she is trying to upload as an avatar? In these types of situation we need to log in as the user, with the image they were using, to try ourselves.

She sends this information to support at edublogs dot org

8. Mrs. Boucher-
    Thank you for commenting! 🙂 I am very glad I left you wanting more of my spaghetti expeditions! 🙂 I was trying to create a funny poem because all of my other poems are very serious. And I was trying to “imitate” Shel Silverstein. I used his approach on poetry this time. Did you read “My Body Wants Some Ice-Cream?” It is just as funny as “My Body Wants Spaghetti!”

-Betty

9. Mrs. Boucher-
    I am trying to insert a link in my post and it just comes up with a blank box. I don’t know what happened, but I am getting really annoyed with it. Thanks!

-Betty 😐

10. Mrs. Boucher-
    Arrgh!!!! I am sick of my avatar not working. Can you help me at ALL??!! Please!!!! I would be very appreciative if you could. Thank you!!

-Betty 🙂

11. Sorry about the just plain “Mrs. Boucher.” It was a mistake; I hit the Submit key accidently. Anyhow, I am so glad we are studying Vermont! All the information is so cool. Thanks!
    -Betty

12. Dear Mrs Boucher
    I dont mean to be rude but. You forgot to put our words on spelling city. So that means I dont have spelling because I forgot my list because I was planning to do them on spelling city.

What do I do . please help.

Amanda

13. Aimee,

Hi. My name is Derrick and I am on the engagement committee at Vermont Commons in South Burlington. Love your site! We are looking at blogging solutions for Grades 7-12. So far we are looking at Edmodo and Edublogs and may consider joining a community like the Bloggers cafe. Are you using Edmodo? Are you aware of any other global blogging communities like BC that would be well suited for 7-12? We have looked at young writers project and would like something more global. Thanks for any attention. I’m sure you are busy. I can be reached directly at 233-9451 in Shelburne.