Math Information

Students in K-5 participate in the EVERYDAY MATH program.

From Everyday Math:

“The Everyday Mathematics program is celebrating 20 years of research and development and offering schools results unmatched by any other elementary mathematics program. This results-oriented program is the program of choice for nearly 3 million students in the United States alone. Everyday Mathematics was developed by the University of Chicago School Mathematics Project (UCSMP) in conjunction with feedback from education specialists, administrators, and classroom teachers in order to enable children in elementary grades to learn more mathematical content and become life-long mathematical thinkers.”  (Wright Group/McGraw Hill)

Forth Grade has a WIKI . . . it contains games and tutorials for every unit in Everyday Math!  Check it out here: mbsmath4

Fourth Grade Math Units:

Unit 1:  Naming & Constructing Geometric Figures . . .

Students learn about lines, rays, points, angles, quadrangles, polygons and circles. Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

Unit 2: Using Numbers and Organizing Data . . .

Students learn how to organize data, calculate landmarks (average, mode, median) & get a refresher course on addition and subtraction of multi-digit numbers.  Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

Unit 3: Multiplication & Division; Number Sentences & Algebra . . .

Students begin formal practice of multiplication facts to 10, learn how division and multiplication are connected, get introduced to problem solving, add parentheses to number sentences, tell whether a number sentence is true or false, and solve open number sentences.   Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

Unit 4:  Decimals and Their Uses . . .

Students learn about decimal place value to the thousandths place, compare & order decimals, add and subtract money, measure in centimeters and millimeters, and convert between metric measures.   Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

Unit 5:  Big Numbers, Estimation & Computation . . .

Students practice multiplying extended multiplication facts, estimate with addition & multiplication, learn how to do long multiplication, practice rounding numbers and learn about big numbers.   Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

‘Unit 6:  Division; Map Reference Frames; Measuring of Angles . . .

Students connect multiplication and division concepts, learn strategies for solving long division problems, learn how to measure angles, practice completing coordinate grids, and learn about longitude & latitude.  Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

Unit 7: Fractions & Their Uses; Chance & Probability . . .

Students learn basic fraction concepts, determine equivalent fractions, order and compare fractions, and determine probability of events occurring.   Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

Unit 8:  Perimeter & Area . . .

Students learn how to use scale, revisit the concepts of perimeter and area, and determine the formulas for the area of triangles, rectangles and parallelograms.   Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

Unit 9:  Fractions, Decimals & Percents . . .

Students learn to convert between fractions, decimals and percents; and learn how to multiply and divide decimals.   Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

Unit 10:  Reflections & Symmetry . . .

Students learn about congruency & symmetry, determine properties of reflections, determine lines of symmetry and explore positive and negative numbers.   Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

Unit 11:  3-D Shapes, Weight, Volume & Capacity . . .

Students learn about the properties of geometric solids, determine the formula for volume and continue their exploration of positive and negative numbers.   Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

Unit 12:  Rates . . .

Students learn about ratios and rate tables.   Click here to read this unit’s parent letter.

One thought on “Math Information

1. Dear mrs boucher
    I forgot my study link at school. I hope you forgive me. I was wondering if there was any places I could get my homework off your blog. If I forget my homework again.