Summer Reading

We spent quite a bit of time discussing the importance of reading over the summer before school got out. I explained that reading regularly would help them maintain their 4th grade learning. Everyone grew tremendously over the course of the school year and to just let that go over the summer would be a shame. So . . . I challenged my class to read a minimum of 80 minutes each week over the summer. This is the home reading weekly requirement during the school year and is NOT much reading. However, reading regularly is such a challenge for some students, I thought it would seem manageable and doable for even the most reluctant reader!

To support and encourage summer reading, every student received a thick packet filled with summer reading programs in the area. TD Bank North will pay kids $10 if they read 10 books! Barnes & Noble and Borders offer free books after reading several books. The Burnham Library has many engaging summer reading activities throughout the summer. Students have many choices!

Through our discussions, we developed a summer reading goal for the class! Each student is challenged to read a MINIMUM of 880 minutes over the summer. Below is the online form to log summer minutes. Students can log their minutes each time they read or every week or two. Students that read the minimum will celebrate their successes with me at a PIZZA party in the fall.

I agreed to post minutes read each week and keep everyone posted about how our summer reading challenge was progressing!  So . . .

DRUM ROLL, PLEASE . . . . I am thrilled to announce that in our first week 29% of our class participated and read!!! BRAVO!!!!

We are reading some GREAT books this summer. Taylor, the first student to log summer reading, is reading the fifth Harry Potter book, and Ethan has been enjoying Others See Us by William Sleator. Ammie’s reading The First Day of School, she must be getting ready for 5th grade!  Liam has logged both fiction and nonfiction this summer 🙂  Liam is challenging himself with The Lord of the Rings!!!! Livy has spent her time reading poetry . . . one of my favorites: A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein. Hannah is currently reading Shakespeare’s Secret by Elise Broach.  This looks like a great summer read!

Summer Reading totals are in ALPHABETICAL order by first name:
Ammie has read 45 minutes so far!!!!!
Ethan has read 310 minutes so far!!!!
Hannah has read 110 minutes so far!!!!
Liam has read 257 minutes so far!!!!
Livy has read 60 minutes so far!!!!
Taylor has read 205 minutes so far!!!!

Our class has read 987 minutes so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!!