Summer Reading Challenge

Well, it’s week TWO of our Summer Reading Challenge and I am pleased to report we doubled the total number of students logging summer reading time!! I am thrilled that 62% of our class has participated. Keep up the great reading!

This week Jessica, Sam, Autumn, Cydney, Charlie, Mistaya and Katie logged their minutes for the first time!!!! Mistaya and Taylor are reading Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix . . . wouldn’t it be great if they blogged together sharing their thinking about this pivotal book in JK Rowling’s series. Two summers ago, I read this book and couldn’t stop until I had finished book 7! Katie has been enjoying Superfudge by Judy Blume.  Cydney’s been having fun with a Geronimo Stilton book.  Sam has been devouring Magic Tree House books and Liam has moved onto The Seekers this week. Charlie has been reading both nonfiction and fiction, but I’m sure he’s enjoying Sammy Keyes and the Dead Giveaway. I LOVE Sammy Keyes books and would definitely recommend them. Hannah has been reading The Alchemist and Calvin and Hobbes this week.  Finally, Ethan’s been reading Hate that Cat and Love that Dog by Sharon Creech.  What a variety!

I did say I’d start logging my summer reading, too!  I have been reading Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson & David Oliver Relin.

Ammie has read 45 minutes total
Autumn has read 190 minutes total
Charlie has read 655 minutes total
Cydney has read 90 minutes total
Ethan has read 515 minutes total
Hannah has read 305 minutes total
Jessica has read 213 minutes total
Katie has read 110 minutes total
Liam has read 830 minutes total
Livy has read 60 minutes total
Mistaya has read 330 minutes total
Sam has read 330 minutes total
Taylor has read 465 minutes total
Mrs. Boucher has read 180 minutes total

Our class has read a total of 4,318 minutes this summer . . . WOW that is AMAZING!!!

2 thoughts on “Summer Reading Challenge

1. Very fun to see the momentum here, and the great variety of books being read! As for me, I’m just about to finish (2 chapters left!) the 3rd Mysterious Benedict Society book so I can be caught up with Charlie and Liam, who both read these. These are definitely classics in the making! You should have these in your library, Mrs. Boucher!

2. Mrs. Boucher:
    I devoured “Three Cups of Tea” last summer and LOVED it. In fact, this winter, I read the follow-up book “Stones into Schools.” With my 4th graders in Richmond this past year, we read “Listen to the Wind” (a picture book story of Three Cups of Tea) and a small group read the young-adult version of the book. Most excitingly, this spring, our class participated in a webinar with Greg Mortenson & a NPR reporter with classrooms from Alaska to Afghanistan. It was super cool! 🙂

From both of these books, I feel like I have a greater understanding of what life is like for children growing up in this part of the world…and a greater appreciation for what I take for granted living in Vermont.

Right now, I am reading “The Kite Runner,” which is a fictionalized memoir of a young boy’s childhood in Afghanistan.

Happy Summer Reading!
    🙂 Miss Darby